Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

I recently finished reading Gretchen Rubin's book "The Happiness Project." I like to start my year with a few "self-improvement" type books, and this is one that I've been wanting to read for awhile. While this isn't a tremendously academic book, it IS a thoughtful one, which has made me pause often to consider how my behavior is influencing my happiness and the happiness of those I love.
I was pleased to realize that I inadvertently embarked on my own "happiness project" when Danny left for New York in November. I decided that I simply couldn't allow this year to be lost to depression, negativity and lack of control. I knew that I needed to be aware of my own emotional and physical well being in order to be the best mom I can be to my three kiddos.

After a few months of contemplation, I decided that one of the most important things I could do to help me feel better was to tackle my issues I've had with my weight. Ugh. Am I crazy? Go on a diet at a highly stressful time in our lives? Isn't that a recipe for failure? Surprisingly, no.

In January, I walked myself into our local Weight Watchers meeting, and signed up. I think that was the hardest part. I've been stunned at how my weight loss process so far has helped me so much, by giving me something concrete to focus on. I have something that I'm in control of, that doesn't have anything to do with anyone but myself. I'm part of a little group that I meet with every week. Other than the fact that we're all a little fatter than we want to be, we don't have much in common. But, that room of ladies has helped me a lot over the past 6 weeks. Just having to show up and be accountable is great, but having people clap at my successes and give me stickers like a kindergartner makes every weigh-in Wednesday a little brighter. It also helps that today I reached my first 10 pound milestone.

Hurray for me, hurray for taking control, and hurray for happiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment